Diet & FitnessBeforeAfterApril V. Camdenton, Mo.Occupation:Office managerHeight:5 ft. 7 in.Starting weight:401 lbs.Lowest weight:173 lbs.Current weight:181 lbs.Began weight-loss program:April 2004Length at current weight:eight monthsWhat's your weight-loss secret? Talk about it on the message boards.
Do you have a weight-loss success story? Share it with MSN.
advertisement
Weight and Me
I have always been heavy. I was born at more than 9 pounds. I had tried every diet out there and I guess for a number of years just resigned myself to the fact that some people are just born to be fat. I put on more than 70 pounds with my first pregnancy at age 18, and my daughter was born 14 months later with a cleft lip and palate. I never got a chance to lose the weight from the first pregnancy, and with her special needs I just told myself I would worry about me later ... that she needed me and I didn't have time for a diet or to exercise. After my children's dad passed away from cancer in January 2002 I spiraled out of control food-wise and ate for comfort. I also would rationalize that there was no way I could be that heavy and when it would sometimes get to me, I would just tell myself that I would lose it someday, that I just couldn't handle it at the time for whatever reason.
The Last Straw
In the fall of 2003 and the winter 2004, I could not sleep more than an hour at a time because the weight was so much on my chest that I could not breathe. I was diagnosed with gout at age 36, my resting B/P was 140/90, and I had diabetic tendencies. There was not a day that went by that I didn't have chest pains. After seeing the pain and embarrassment in my daughter's eyes and realizing I was going to orphan my children, I hit rock bottom. I knew I was going to die if I didn't do something.
How I Did It
I began the Atkins diet, the induction phase, knowing that if I didn't do something that was strict to change my horrible eating habits I would rationalize it away and not continue. As my body broke its horrific sugar addiction, the first four to five days were awful. Then one morning after about a week or so I woke up with more energy than I had in years! I began walking two laps on the treadmill, which was incredible as before I could not even walk across a room without being winded and having to sit down. I began weight training and increased my cardio as my strength and endurance increased.
The Key To Success
Some of the keys to my success during the weight loss phase were to keep a daily food journal, take monthly progress pictures to see the weight loss (as it is difficult to see it day to day), keep an Excel worksheet of the weight loss progress to keep me motivated if I plateaued. One other suggestion is to drink plenty of water!
Derailers and Strategies
The only thing I still have to be careful of is soda. I admit, even though it is strictly diet now if I do indulge, that soda is still a weakness and I make a pointed effort every day to make sure I drink approximately 100 ounces of water before I treat myself to one.
When I Slip ...
I just keep reminding myself that I am worth everything I am doing. I have this saying I live by and it applies to my every day as well as my dietary needs: "My success tomorrow depends on my choices today." I know that I am capable now of doing anything I set my mind to.
When I Soar ...
When someone I haven't seen in few years sees me, knows they know me, but can't place who I am. Then when they find out who I am, they just are astonished, sometimes speechless, at the new me.
Next: Muneer A. Lost 82 Pounds!
Slide Shows: More Success Stories
You've Got to Have Faith
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment