Diet & FitnessBeforeAfterMarybeth S. Seattle, Wash.Occupation:Technical writerHeight:5 ft. 8 in.Starting weight:330 lbs.Lowest weight:118 lbs.Current weight:129 lbs.Began weight-loss program:November 2002Length at current weight:Two yearsWhat's your weight-loss secret? Talk about it on the message boards.
Do you have a weight-loss success story? Share it with MSN.
advertisement
Weight and Me
I began putting on weight around the onset of puberty. It continued through my teens and beyond. I don't know why it started, but I eventually became a compulsive overeater, hiding from the world and seeking comfort and solace in food.
The Last Straw
After 20 years of morbid and eventually super-morbid obesity, I had many catalysts for change. I was terribly depressed, experiencing perceived weight bias at work which eventually led to my leaving, and was developing serious co-morbidities including arthritis, Type 2 diabetes, PCOS and more.
How I Did It
I had a newer form of weight loss surgery called the Biliopancreatic Diversion with Duodenal Switch (BPD/DS). With that, a strenuous exercise program and a completely modified lifestyle, I managed to take off over 200 pounds, reducing my BMI from 50 to 19.4.
The Key To Success
I kept an extensive blog detailing the years and how the changes impacted me at http://theweightisover.typepad.com which helped me to discover patterns and triggers in my eating. I use online support groups for assistance when I begin to get off track.
Derailers and Strategies
I continue to struggle with self-medicating with food, bingeing and not always making the healthiest choices. My motivation is to remain healthy, strong and continue to go forward. I've also found that continuing to write about my experiences keeps me motivated to remain successful.
When I Slip...
I do my best to forgive myself, remind myself that everyone makes mistakes and again...forgive myself. I try very hard to take it one day at a time, step back and regroup.
When I Soar...
I don't think I could possibly name just one. Having my mother drive past me at the airport because she didn't recognize me is a favorite. Another was buying my first pair of designer jeans and having the sales person keep bringing me smaller sizes to try on. I think my perpetual New Me moment is every day when I am able to look at myself in the mirror and feel good about what I see for the first time in my life.
Next: Nancy Lost 160 Pounds!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment